Sunday, November 24, 2013

Change Happens

Change is inevitably a part of life.  When we realize that change is not something to be feared, but rather an opportunity, we can start to let go of the fear of change.  I look back at my life even 10 years ago, and I was certainly a different person that I am today. However it was change that forced me to grow, change that forced me to become a better person than I was.  At the age of 30, I was faced with a divorce from my husband who was cheating on me, 3 young kids to care for on my own, a house I couldn't afford, and a budget that was less than permissible for a family of 4.  At my lowest point, I was down on my knees, praying to God for a change.  It was that door that God opened that ended up changing my life.

Looking back, I know that that point was also a major inflation point for my perfectionism.  Being a single mom, having to now care for, and feed my children all by myself was this huge underlying task.  I didn't have anyone to help, to take over, to let me let go.  I had to do it all.  All by myself.  And that's when it really started.  Sub-consciously, my brain was telling my body to do everything and do it perfectly.  Maybe if I was perfect, I wouldn't fail.  Maybe if I was perfect, I could be a perfect mom to my kids.  Maybe if I was perfect, I wouldn't be in this situation.  And then it hit me like a ton of bricks.

Oh my gosh.  I was spending all this time trying to be perfect, and all I had to really do, is realize that none of that was true.  My divorce, my situation, my thinking that I wasn't a good mother; that had nothing to do with me not being perfect.  It was about God creating change for me, so I could inevitably be who I was destined to be. He was simply closing that door, and opening another. In that current situation, I couldn't be all that he had planned for me.  And look at me now.  I am a changed person.  I am blessed with the most beautiful and amazing life ever.  I am blessed with knowing that I have to change my ways, and stop this perfection.  Change Happens.  Embrace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment