Monday, October 28, 2013

Overcoming perfectionism

During my blog, I have talked about some of the key things that have plagued me.

Here are some steps that I've mentioned so far that I have compiled that have helped me to overcome this:

1)  Recognize Perfectionism - There is nothing wrong with having standards in your life, attainable goals you want to achieve, but when these standards are set so high that they are getting in the way of your social well-being/work/school and life in general, then it's time to realize the problem.  Refer to How to spot a perfectionist about the traits of a perfectionist.

2) Change your behaviors and your way of thinking- In a society where Perfect is the new standard, many adults including myself, are often very critical of themselves.  I work on this everyday, so don't expect an overnight change, but the key is to change that behavior, that critical thinking and turn it into more realistic thoughts and goals. It's ok to make mistakes.  And yes, I tell myself that everyday.



The other key point I want to make is that perfectionism can lie in so many ways in people's lives.  It can be a matter of work, or writing, or school, organization or tidiness, looks or appearance, or even passed down to their outcomes -children or significant others.  The key is to identify all of the areas in your life that it is affecting and work on the problems from there.  For me, I don't have just one area, it's multiple.  So, yes I can pinpoint these areas, but know, that each area will have to be worked on as you go along. Till next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment